Casting Call for
July 11 at 6 pm and July 12 at 6 pm
Strauss Theatre Center
Directed by Megan Wilkins
Strauss Theatre Center is holding auditions for Disaster!, a jukebox musical comedy by Seth Rudetsky, on July 11 and 12 at 6pm. If you are unable to make a date, please call the box office and talk to Donna. You may submit a video with singing, dancing, and a monologue. Please note, audition dates have changed from Saturday and Sunday to Sunday and Monday.
All participants are asked to have a 16 bar song selection either from the show or of your own choice, preferably in the 70’s-80’s time period. Please bring sheet music as a pianist will be provided. You may self-accompany on guitar if you prefer.
Sunday (7/11) will consist of music and dance auditions. In addition to your prepared song, you will be taught a short snippet of choreography. We want to see everyone having fun with it, even if dancing is not their strong suit. Please wear or bring comfortable clothes and shoes as well as water for the dance portion.
Monday (7/12) will consist of cold reads. You will be asked to read from selected scenes of the script as various characters with the rest of those auditioning.
We are looking for 10 adult actors, 5 male and 5 female, and 1 male young adult or child actor to portray the following roles:
- Ted Scheider (Male, 30-50): A professor and “disaster expert” who works to warn others of impending doom. Dry, non-emotional, and serious. Baritone (High note: G4)
- Chad Rubik (Male, 25-40): A flirtatious caterer at the casino, attempting to be a player while still mourning his broken engagement to Marianne. Rock/pop belt needed. Tenor (High note: B4)
- Scott (Male, 25-40): A less flirtatious caterer at the casino and Chad’s slightly geeky best friend. Tenor (High note: B4)
- Marianne Wilson (Female, 25-40): An investigative journalist with career goals that conflict with her love life. High pop belt needed. Soprano (High note: F#5)
- Tony Delvecchio (Male, 30-60): The deceitful owner of the casino and almost-charming scumbag. Baritone (High note: Ab4)
- Sister Mary Downey (Female, 20-50): An awkward, judgmental nun with a gambling addiction. Pop/rock belt preferred. Mezzo-Soprano (High note: B5)
- Shirley Winters (Female, 40-70): Maury’s jolly and dedicated wife, who suffers from a terminal illness. Tap dance experience a plus. Alto/Mezzo (High note: B4)
- Maury Winters (Male, 40-70): Shirley’s jolly and dedicated husband. Baritone (High note: G4)
- Levora Verona (Female, 30-50): A flamboyant but faded disco diva who is bold, brazen, and in love with her pet dog. Pop/soul belt needed. Mezzo-Soprano (High note: E5)
- Jackie Noelle (Female, 30-50): A ditzy but honest showgirl turned lounge singer. Mother of Ben and Lisa, she is on a quest to find them a new, better father. Goldie Hawn-eque. Mezzo-Soprano (High note: D5)
- Ben & Lisa Noelle (Male, 8-16): Smart and snarky, Jackie’s twin son and daughter are both played by the same actor. Pop belt preferred. Tenor (High note: D5)
- Ensemble: Men and women able to play various glamorous party guests/character roles. Great comedic chops, good dance ability, and all vocal ranges needed.
You will check in at the Box Office and auditions will be held on the Strauss Mainstage.
To peruse the script, email Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 318-323-6681.
Music from the show
- “All Right Now” (Ensemble)
- “That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” (Marianne)
- “Muskrat Love” (Jackie)
- “Without You” (Chad)
- “I’d Really Love to See You Tonight” (Chad, Marianne)
- “The Lord’s Prayer” (Sister Mary)
- “Torn Between Two Lovers” (Sister Mary)
- “When Will Be Loved” (Jackie, Ben/Lisa)
- “Three Times a Lady” (Chad, Ensemble)
- “Theme From Mahogany” (Levora)
- “Still the One” (Shirley, Maury)
- “Saturday Night” (Jackie, Ensemble)
- “Never Can Say Goodbye” (Sister Mary)
- “Mockingbird” (Jackie, Ted)
- “Hooked on a Feeling” (Cast)
- “Ben” (Ben/Lisa, Maury, Shirley, Sister Mary)
- “Come to Me” (Levora, Sister Mary)
- “25 or 6 to 4” (Cast)
- “Sky High” (Cast)
- “Reunited” (Chad, Marianne)
- “Knock on Wood” (Levora, Ensemble)
- “I Will Survive” (Jackie)
- “Do You Wanna Make Love” (Tony)
- “Daybreak” (Cast)
- “Baby Hold on to Me” (Marianne, Chad)
- “Don’t Cry Out Loud” (Tony)
- “I Am Woman” (Marianne, Ben/Lisa)
- “Hot Stuff” (Cast)
- “Feelings” (Ted, Chad, Marianne)